Sunday, July 11, 2010

Dancing Queen...Saturday night

One of my favorite songs by ABBA....."dancing queen, young and sweet, only seventeen. dancing queen, feel the beat from the tambourine. you can dance, you can jive, havin the time of your life. see that girl, watch that scene, diggin the dancin queen!
Yep....that was the end to my night last night in Africa and it was glorious! But...before I give into the secret of that....let me share the day!

It was a marvelous morning....a bit chilly but a beautiful sun! It is Saturday....so shopping is in store. Janine, Ian and Chloe went out to Project Canaan, Anita and Shirley are working in the house, Paul and I are headed to town for errands. I'm excited to share Mbabane with you!
Quite the bustling little city.When we went to the city....we passed the "bus" stations (you see all the white Kombis), the Pick and Pay (COKE), the local office supply store (their Staples - doesn't have much stock), a local decor store (their Ikea), Metro (their Sams)and several women taking their goods home. No need for "reusable/green bags here". Life is so different....yet all the same needs and worries.


After a day of shopping and errands, we headed back to the office. Yep....I was allowed
to "drive". Everyone was a bit scared because you drive on the right side of the car but the left side of the road. So....shift in the brain, shift gears on the left, and blinker on the right. All craziness....but I had NO wrecks! After we organized at home.....finished up our emails and paperwork, Anita and I headed out to Project Canaan. We planned a hug meal, dancing party and a movie - Mrs. Doubtfire...our Shirley :)!

What a fantastic night.....laughter, dance, food and fun! The Masuku family was there with 5 of Sarah's children, Tom & Elaine, Laura Moss with Riley & Wyatt, Ralph, Mark, Masi, Anita, the Maxwell family (Ian, Janine, Spencer & Chloe), and all the Kenyans - Kaleli, Carol, Dennis, Anthony & Joshua. We taught them the cupid shuffle, the electric slide and just danced! We laughed and we....well I sweated! :) It was joyful and fun. Then we had a FEAST! All the Kenyans cooked dinner for us. Chicken, beef, kale,vegetables (raw and cooked),
potatoes and Chapati bread (the best fried flour tortilla ever). The feast was amazing....but more importantly....the hands that prepared it and the hearts that prayed over it....joined us all for this time. We are so blessed. Once our tummies were full, we all settled into watching a movie. We project the image on the side of the garage and all snuggle in for a fun movie. Oh how we laughed....but at the end of the night...you can see....all the kids were "tattered" out.

It was WAY past their bedtime. It was 10 PM....and here.... for the Masuku family....the sun determines bedtime. For never in their lives have they ever had electricity! So around 6 PM.....they head to bed. These days are amazing gifts from God. The Masuku's are settled into a roof over their head, they're sharing land with friends & family, and we're able to see them often! Thank you Jesus for your amazing love, provision and obvious grace over each of us.
As the night and lights went out....we all cleaned up the kitchen and headed back to the HFA home. Oh how my heart was full as I played, ate and danced with my African family....all the while knowing....the Willises were all doing the same without me. I love all of you from far away....but you are each so near and dear to my heart! Thank you all.....friends AND family for your prayers, for your hope in His peace that surpasses all understanding and for your support.

If you're moved by this story and you would like to help....you can support any of these children you see in these photos. The Masuku children and any other children in Swaziland through HFA. The Masuku child can be provided food, clothing, medical, housing and education for a small $120 a month/per child. That is $4 a day.....almost the cost of a Starbuck's coffee or a Chick-fil-a sandwich.


I'll close with what Heart For Africa stands on....the word of God!

James 1:27 "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

Today....Sunday....was a day of rest....and we took it!

For all His glory and His might......
From Africa with love,
masi

4 comments:

  1. Love reading your blog!!!
    Blessings and encouragement to all of you from God's word:

    Gal 6:9 Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

    Ps 3:3 But you are a shield around me, O Lord, you bestow glory on me and lift up my head.

    Is 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
    Sharon Turner

    ReplyDelete
  2. WELL THE REUNION HAS COME TO A CLOSE AND ALL LEFT ABOUT 10 A.M. WE HAVE WASHED SHEETS FOR MARIANNE TO B E READY ON WED. WE MISSED YOU AND DID ENJOY THE SKYPE VISIT. THANKS, FOR INCLUDING US IN THIS WONDERFUL JOURNEY THAT GOD IS ALLOWING YOU TO TAKE. THE CHILDREN ARE PRECIOUS AND I CAN SEE YOUR ATTACHMENT. LOVE TO ALL OF THEM FROM MOM AND DAD. SOUNDS LIKE YOUR SHOPPING WAS EXCITING AND THE MEAL WAS DIVINE. WE ARE PRAYING FOR TOMORROW AND ASKING GOD TO ALLOW FOR ALL TO GO WELL. GOD BLESS. MOM AN DAD/ GONE TO BED. GOOD NIGHT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Masi, reading this blog about your amazing time with the families melts my heart, I SO wish I could be there dancing with you and everyone, that was my favorite part of Kenya.. The joyful dancing that takes place oh so often! I miss you so much but I know you are doing such amazing things in Swaziland that it is only selfish of me to wish you were back here just so that I could see you, I pray for you very often and think of you always! I love you sooooo much!

    Karli :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love tracking with your day to day. Praying for you!! Love you!! Bianca

    ReplyDelete