Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Swazi Police, Mathokoza, and Skype = my day


Well....today was quite the day! It was eventful to say the least. I thought today would be a day of working at the kitchen table all day and pushing through some emails, paperwork and planning! You know....maps, charts, lists, etc.

This morning began with a quick cup of coffee and then a ride into Mbabane! We had an important meeting with Swazi Telecom about broadcasting the Litsemba event on the web! If this happens...it will be the first live webcast for the country. But...don't let me get ahead of myself. Babe Mathokoza was running late. Babe is pronounced Bobby....it is like our "sir" or father....it is an respectful and affectionate name for someone older and wiser. So
Babe Mathokoza dashed out of the drive headed to the meeting. And then it happened......it always does when you're in a hurry...the police! Yep.....we got a fine. These are the ONLY pictures I took today....how fitting! The glorious start to our amazing day! After we paid (you pay on the side of the road), we arrived a bit late for Mr. Khoza.

It was a fabulous meeting....great suggestions of how to get approval....and great progress. The country is a bit behind (we're talking a 3rd world country)...and what to my surprise....FIBER OPTIC lines into the Somhlolo National Stadium where we'll have the gathering. However...it costs to get the internet to that line. So....Babe Mathokoza is to write a letter requesting the nation to provide this service to us as guests AND....they suggested that Her Royal Highness also request it. She is one of the wives to the King. Yep.....different culture! The amazing grace of God is that she is saved and is a lover of Jesus! And a while back, she became the Patron to the event. So we're asking God for favor and amazing results in hopes that you can all join us on July 23rd!

Paula, a Swazi HFA staff member, picked me up and we headed out to look at some print shops. We found this amazing large banner and marketing signage company. I have been working for a month on getting signage in South Africa, trying to figure out how to get it over here, and guess what?!?! He is faithful...great company here---in Swaziland! We scooted back to the HFA office (my home away from home) and had lunch. Babe Mathokoza and I ate as we wrote the letters for Swazi Telecom. Once they were finished....a mad dash back to drop the letter off for HRH to sign and back to Swazi Telecom to leave the letter with the CEO.

An afternoon of paperwork rounded off the work day! Ian and Janine have been out of town. They had to travel 7 hours BACK to a lodge in South Africa yesterday, tour it to determine if it is something we'll want to build on Canaan, and then 7 hours back today! Needless to say, upon their entry.....they were tired and hungry! They stopped in a "fast food" restaurant and entered the home with.....none other than.....KFC!

The evening wrapped around me connecting to family & friends on Skype! It was GREAT! My cousin, Twila, and I have been talking for the past two days. She's a pro at this thing....but for me....a "new born". I was able to catch up quickly with a friend while she was on a bus...isn't that crazy....Swaziland to the US on a bus! And then my brother's family downloaded Skype and like a snap of a finger.....their beautiful faces! It was a sweet sound and site. I'm having a TON of fun over here....laughing, singing, and enjoying the simplest things in life....but I must say...I miss my family!

My niece, Lauren, and my nephew, Matthew, got a tour of my home. My sister-in-law, Casi was the one to figure it out (thanks for working at it to bring me joy) and my brother, Jey, chatted for a moment with me. It was great......he made me laugh...he
always does! This is him being crazy...putting himself inside of their desk as he talks to me and making faces! Hilarious!!!! I'm
a bit homesick! Here's why.....on Thursday, my extended family will start arriving at my parent's house. You might say, "well Masi.....no big deal!" But you see.....it is! When I say "family", I mean the WILLIS family! My Daddy is one of 10. He and all his siblings, my cousins, second cousins, cousins by marriage, their kids, etc, etc, etc...have been gathering for about 35 years for a weekend in the summer. This summer....at my parent's house...on Friday! So pray for me as I miss them....but I find joy in serving the Lord as I gather with my brothers and sisters in Christ.

Tomorrow.....we will be unloading the containers that we shipped and more strategic work. I'll fill you in on the days work then!

I love all that God provides.....and love this verse! I've been struggling with "being prepared"! Lord....have I done enough. Have I done as you've asked! I love this promise....."his way is perfect!"

Psalm 18:30 "As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the Lord is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him".

Taking refuge.....
With love from Africa,
Masi

1 comment:

  1. Hello sweet friend! Miss Masi I must tell you... YOU are a born writer! Amazing!!! I love reading your posts! LOVE hearing about your days! I would love to skype with you on Sunday if you have time.

    I started work the other day and I must tell you... I REALLY DISLIKE MY JOB! I KNOW I must be lead to a different way to live my life. Reading you post is proof that God is using you even as you are so far away. I want purpose! Real life purpose like you are living.

    I know it's gotta be challenging missing your family & friends, yet the happy parts of your days and knowing that your working for God just have to be the best way to work & serve. Tears just rolled down my face at the visual of your every word written. How beautiful a life to live!

    I have to get Kirby settled (he sends kisses & nibble on your ear):) & get to bed myself. Know that I love and admire you more than ANYONE!!! Sending you a huge squeeze! Have a great day tomorrow sweet friend!
    Love you bunches & miss you more,
    Lisa Q.

    ReplyDelete